The Public Art Committee of Marietta Main Street works to enhance and enliven downtown Marietta's public spaces through the visual arts.
The Public Art Committee of Marietta Main Street facilitates the placement of temporary and permanent two- and three-dimensional artwork throughout downtown Marietta. The purpose of these works is to enhance and enliven our public spaces, as well as our community’s sense of place and identity. The placement of public art in downtown Marietta is meant to encourage both residents and visitors alike to move throughout our downtown, exploring and discovering new aspects of our cityscape. While a variety of themes may be visible in these works, emphasis is placed on those works that honor the unique history and heritage of Marietta.
The Mural Gallery Program
The Mural Gallery Program of Marietta Main Street encourages citizens and tourists to explore our city, learn more about our history and creates memorable moments of discovery.
Murals will be installed throughout Downtown Marietta on a rotating basis, creating a streetscape “gallery.” Exploring our Mural Gallery makes a pioneer of every visitor as they discover new artwork in a historic alleyway, prominent building, or public space—this will be their next adventure in Marietta!
Guidelines for Eligible Artwork
- Artwork shall honor the “Place” and/or the “History” of Marietta—this can be interpreted in a variety of ways, but is intended to inspire artwork that highlights the physical beauty and unique history of the Marietta area. This could include landscapes, streetscapes, etcetera, but the origin of the inspiration should seem apparent to the jury. While the jury does not exclude abstract representations, primary focus shall be on representational work.
- Any Photographic work must be interpretive & include apparent individual expression rather than pure photographic documentation—if an artist would like to submit photographic work, cannot be pure photojournalism (capturing a moment), but must include additional elements or processes that make the work unique to the creator (this could include photomontage, photo collage, alternative darkroom process, etc.). While the jury does not exclude all photographic work, primary focus shall be on work that encompasses these guidelines.
- Artwork must be created by an artist who lives within 90 miles of Marietta, Ohio
- Marietta Main Street will host a Call for Submissions for Artists interested in having their work eligible for The Mural Gallery on an annual basis, no more than twice a year.
- Submissions from Artists will include:
- Cover sheet with contact information of Artist and details about artwork
- Low-resolution digital file of the submission
- There is no application fee for Artist submissions
- If Artwork is selected for the library, Marietta Main Street will request a high resolution digital file of the artwork. If an Artist needs assistance photographing their work, Marietta Main Street will refer Artists to certain photographers to document the artwork.
- Any associated photography fees shall be covered by the Artist.
- If Artist work is found to be eligible for the library, the Artist will sign a contract that stipulates the usage permission of the artwork, as well as the fee they will receive if artwork is chosen for The Mural Gallery.
the call for submissions is live and rolling.
all artwork will be juried soon thereafter for admission into the artwork library.
Interested Building Owners
Building owners interested in installing a mural on their building should contact Marietta Main Street to facilitate the process.. Marietta Main Street maintains a library of juried artwork eligible for mural installation and will guide building owners through the process of choosing artwork and installation.
Building Owners will be required to pay a fee to use any artwork—fee pays artists for their work and a small administrative stipend.